August 17, 2020
Dear Village Residents:
One thing I have learned from a week of trees down and massive power outages from Tropical Storm Isaias — now is the best time to prepare for the next tropical storm or hurricane. With all the news of the Coronavirus crisis, it would be easy to forget that experts are calling for an active tropical storm and hurricane season; we do not want to be figuring things out as a major storm bears down on us. Here are some important tips to keep in mind for your planning:
- If a hurricane, or another tropical storm, hits and power is interrupted, and with the current pandemic, residents should be prepared to shelter at home.
- At minimum, everyone should have on hand:
- 3-days of food
- 7-days of medication
- 3-gallons of drinking water per person
- LED flashlights
- A battery-powered AM radio.
- Make sure to have extra cash on hand if a storm is approaching, and be sure your fuel tank is full. Bank ATMs and gas pumps may not work if electricity goes out.
- If you have pets, have a kit for them too, with items like a carrier, medicine, and ample food supplies.
- Create a family emergency plan and emergency contact list.
Above, I have listed some of the basics for being prepared for the next storm event. The Village of Lindenhurst is here to assist our residents in any way we can be of help. Our community continues to be “Lindy Strong”, helping one another in times of need. I can never state it enough, I am proud to be your Mayor.
Michael A. Lavorata, Mayor