A MESSAGE FROM LINDENHURST MAYOR MICHAEL LAVORATA
With the current predictions of Tropical Storm Elsa heading towards Lindenhurst, I think it is appropriate to remind our residents to be prepared. Here are some important tips to keep in mind for your planning:
- If a tropical storm, or hurricane, hits and power is interrupted, residents should be prepared to shelter at home. At minimum, everyone should have on hand:
o 3-days of food
o 7-days of medication
o 3-gallons of drinking water per person
o LED flashlights
o A battery-powered AM radio.
- Make sure to have extra cash on hand if a storm is approaching, and be sure your fuel tank is full. Bank ATMs and gas pumps may not work if electricity goes out.
- If you have pets, have a kit for them too, with items like a carrier, medicine, and ample food supplies.
- Secure, or bring indoors, any outdoor furniture, umbrellas, grills, etc.
- Create a family emergency plan and emergency contact list. Here are some important emergency numbers to have on hand:
o Fire/Rescue 631-226-1212
o Police Emergency 911
o Village Hall 631-957-7500
o Department of Public Works 631-957-7520
Above, I have listed some of the basics for being prepared for a storm event. The Village of Lindenhurst is here to assist our residents in any way we can be of help.