**Update – March 16, 2020 Declaration of Emergency. Village Hall is open for essential business only. Residents are encouraged to pay taxes by mail.
March 12, 2020
To All Village Residents and Visitors:
Although there have been no recorded cases of the coronavirus within the Village of Lindenhurst, in an effort of caution, we have prepared this letter to inform and educate you on the important steps we can all take in keeping the spread of the coronavirus at bay.
Please be assured that the Village is doing everything we can to keep our facilities safe and healthy in the presence of the coronavirus threat, including frequently and thoroughly sanitizing throughout Village Hall and in all Village departments, including the Department of Public Works and the Rainbow Center. Meeting rooms and the Village Justice Court are also being sanitized frequently and thoroughly as well.
- Please avoid public assembly areas if you have a cold or any type of flu symptom(s).
- Frequently wash your hands with soap and water, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after coughing or sneezing. If soap and water is unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with those who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick; cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or a sleeve.
- If you are sick, please make sure that you have fully recovered before returning to your normal activities.
- Those who have traveled to areas with heightened levels of exposure should inform a healthcare professional immediately.
Transmission: The coronavirus is likely a respiratory virus spread from person to person in close contact through sneezing and coughs. However, much is still unknown, and it’s unclear if a person can get the virus by touching a surface or object that has the virus and then touching their own mouth, nose, or eyes.
Symptoms and Complications: Reported cases of the virus have varied symptoms, and some infected individuals have little to no symptoms. Symptoms can include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. If you suspect that you have the coronavirus, please see a healthcare professional right away.
New York State Department of Health: www.health.ny.gov/coronavirus
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov/COVID19
World Health Organization: www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
New York State Department of Health Coronavirus Hotline:
The Lindenhurst Fire Department and Village Officials are continuing to monitor the situation, and will take steps to cancel and/or reschedule any events, if necessary, and inform our residents.
Michael A. Lavorata